Representative Mike Smith
Delaware State Representative Mike Smith was elected in 2018 to serve the 22nd District which includes the Pike Creek Valley and areas of Hockessin and Newark. In that capacity, he serves on the following committees: Health and Human Development, Education, Economic Development, Veteran’s Affairs and Labor. In 2019, Mike was named one of the 2019 People to Watch by the Delaware Business Times.
During his first term in office, Mike has had the honor of working in a bi-partisan manner on the following initiatives:
- Worked with legislators on both sides of the aisle to secure funding for the continued operation of the Polly Drummond Hill Road yard Waste Site
- Co-sponsored legislation to support the work of School Resource Officers in our schools by funding mental health counselors in all elementary schools
- Co-sponsored legislation to fully restore the $500 senior property tax credit
- Authored the bill to increase the fines for littering
- Secured funding for road improvements and repairs throughout 22nd District neighborhoods
Over the past two years, Mike also was appointed to serve on the following task forces to examine important issues facing our state. They include the following:
- Delaware Health and Social Services Reorganization Committee
- Interagency Pharmaceuticals Purchasing Study Group
- Non-Acute Patient Medical Guardianship Task Force
- Pharmacy Reimbursement Task Force
- Redding Consortium for Educational Equity
For the past six years, Mike has been the Director of Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships for the University of Delaware’s College of Health Sciences. Through this role, he focuses on the marketing/communications, external affairs, government affairs and strategic planning for the College and the STAR Campus. In this position, Mike is responsible for growing partnerships for 3 active clinics, research studies and community relations. Through his partnership and external affairs role, Mike won the 2017 John Warren Service and Leadership Award. He also does business development for a 16-acre parcel of the University of Delaware’s Science Technology and Advanced Research Campus (STAR). In this role, Mike also teaches a dual-enrollment class for Newark High School. Upon joining UD, he was a member of the inaugural class of the Delaware Business Times “40 Under 40”.
Prior to working in higher education, Mike was Executive Director of a public/private economic development partnership for the City of Newark, New Castle County Chamber of Commerce and University of Delaware called the Greater Newark Economic Development Partnership. In that role, he focused on business launch, growth and success for the Greater Newark area and helped market the area to the international community. Mike began his career working for political campaigns. He was assistant Finance Director for Congressman Mike Castle and was his Field Director and Deputy Campaign Manager for his 2008 re-election campaign for Congress. After several years in politics, Mike went on to the private sector and managed a regional sales channel for Comcast Corporation and managed a team across the Mid-Atlantic region to be the one-stop-shop for business solutions for Verizon.
As an engaged and active member of the community, Mike is a Board Member for Lori’s Hands, Kids with Confidence and VIP Member of Delaware PTA. His past board duties included the Newark Senior Center, Preston’s Playground Committee and Delaware SPCA. He also coaches for Piedmont Baseball, DelawareFC Soccer and the Western YMCA. Mike recently joined the Domestic Violence Coordinating Council.
In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife, Christy, their two sons, Braedon (7) and Nathan (3), and two dogs, Bruiser and Dallas.
Additional AFFILIATIONS & ORGANIZATIONS